Thursday, June 08, 2006

Summer Reading List

It's the season for reading. TV is bad (except- the Closer starts Monday!! don't miss it on TNT!) and when you avoid relatives while on your family vacation because you are engrossed in a book it seems scholarly instead of antisocial.

Here is what I hope to get through this summer in "real" books (the kind with paper pages and everything)


  1. Cannery Row by John Steinbeck: I have no idea what it is about, just that my brother is getting married in Monterrey, CA and my dad is so proud that our hotel is on Cannery Row and I feel dumb not knowing why that is important. But I'll bet dollars for doughnuts that Civil Engineering comes in to play somehow. (It always does)


  2. The Death and Life of Great American Cities(and every other book I can find at the library and bookstore) by Jane Jacobs: These I know are about Land Use. I had never heard of Ms. Jacobs until she passed away this year and was profiled on NPR.

  3. Island: The Complete Stories by Alistair MacLeod: Our family vacation this summer is to the South East shore of Nova Scotia, so I gotta bone up on my Martime Canadiana. I read No Great Mischief this spring and enjoyed it very much. I have yet to read a book about or set in Nova Scotia that talks sadly about how pretty it used to be. Usually, they comment on how life used to be simplier (meaning infinitely more difficult) but so far I get the vibe that Nova Scotia is still pretty wild. Just a look at the road map to figure out how to get to Mr. Probert's Uncle's house brought us to that realization.


  4. Euclid's Elements by Euclid: Just a little light volume by the father of geometry.


  5. An Unnatural Metropolis: Wresting New Orleans From Nature by Craig Colten: This was on my wishlist before Katrina, even more relevant now.

  6. The Works: Anatomy of a City by Kate Ascher: Yeah, I know, another book about cities and civil engineering. But like I said, it is important to love your work!

Gotta go- I have a lot of reading to do!

0 Comments: