Monday, June 26, 2006

Search for the Top Civil Engineering Songs of ALL TIME!!

One day a few months ago, I heard a really fun corny rap jam on the NPR called "Geek Dreams" which is actually a pretty terrible name for the song because the catchiest line is "I'm an Engineer, Respect My Mind!"

I promptly taught Panorama to sing along with it. She also already knows my alma mater fight song- "Ramblin' Wreck from Georgia Tech"

This song got me on a quest to find the Top Civil Engineering Songs of all time. A quick search on iTunes turned up ONE SONG a slow but entertaining tune called "Song for the Civil Engineer" by David Dondero.


Hmmm...

When I gave up on Civil and just settled for Engineer, I found a song called "I'm Gonna be an Engineer" by Jane Sapp, Pete Seeger & Si Kahn which is about how a young woman was discouraged from becoming an engineer and finally made it on her own.

So I had four songs. But I wanted at least 2 hours of non-stop party fodder!

I decided to get more creative.

Here is my list so far:
"We Built this City"
"Bridge Over Troubled Water"

And my Favorite: "Life is a Highway"

Here are some that we came up with- and I want to hear yours! I want to make the coolest nerd mix CD ever and I need your help! Leave me comments with your favorite Civil Engineering tunes!

I've been getting requests to provide more information about the books that I mention on the blog. So I started an area called "THE LIST".

3 Comments:

Anonymous said...

A couple come to mind as I browse through my collection of mp3s:

Peter Gabriel - Digging in the Dirt
Cake - The Distance (good all-nighter song)
John Vanderslice - Bill Gates Must Die (rare independant singer, you'll get a real kick out of the lyrics)
The Police - Invisible Sun
Yes - Changes
Ozzy - Crazy Train
Cure - Fascination Street
Dire Straits - Waterline
Incubus - Circles


OK I could keep going, but that's probably enough for now...

AG

TW said...

Haw about "Engineers" by Gary Numan

Unknown said...

For when I'm doing grading - Elevation by U2