Sunday, August 20, 2006

Sunday Morning Book Shopping

Mr. Probert is studying for the P.E.

This morning he handed me a list of resource books he needed. He hates this stuff. I, on the other hand, live for that satisfying crackle noise of a new hardback. Or better yet, pondering the mysterious life of a used book- who owned it? Did they love it? Did they read it in the bathtub?

So it was a perfect opportunity to stock up on some of the books I had lingering in my amazon shopping cart.

Here is a list of books that will be showing up on my doorstep in 3-5 business days.

Nothing gives me the warm fuzzies more than coming home to a nice heavy box of books on the doorstep.

Surveying & Layout Fundamentals for Construction (DVD)
I am feeling the need for a refresher, and this DVD comes highly rated. My layout experience is limited to one hideously cold autumn in Edmonton with the world's coolest party chief, Cam F. and his sidekick Brad. Brad and I fought like brother and sister, and I never could get the rod level. Lesson learned: Party Chiefs can read lips through the sight, so keep the cursing INSIDE your head.

Civil PE Sample Examination
More ways to ruin a perfectly good weekend. It will be my turn in April.

Six-minute Solutions For Civil PE Exam Geotechnical Problems (Civil Engineering)
Seeing Mr. P's geotech study sheet inspired me to do a LL test on some playdough Panorama had laying around. I am still trying to figure out how I can run a triax on it. I spent the better part of the Fall of 1998 pounding proctors so just seeing the density curve still makes my hand hurt.

Six-Minute Solutions for Civil PE Exam Problems: Water Resources
Weirs, channels, swales, retention, yadayada- it all boils down to ditches and puddles.

And to cap it off, my recent obsession with the "perfect" surface led me to these choices:

Topographic Surveying (Technical Engineering and Design Guides As Adapted from the Us Army Corps of Engineers)

Topographic Surveying and Geodetic Control Basics Manual Cd [CD] [Software]

Topographic manual [Unknown Binding]

Modern Topographic Drawing