Thursday, March 13, 2008

Somebody in Salisbury is Just a Little Bit Smarter Thanks to Me

Today I woke up feeling a bit "ick" and needing one of those motivational kicks in the rear that I seem to need more and more now that I am knee deep in the struggle to balance work and family. I had a few hours of freedom thanks to a blessed young woman who comes to my house occasionally and keeps Prospector from rolling out the door and down to the highway, so I headed to town to find a quiet corner with some coffee and WIFI.

On the way, I passed a Barnes and Noble, and I thought- "What better way to inspire my writing muse than to see my book on the shelf?", so I pulled into the parking lot and strolled over to the computer books. My stomach butterflies fluttered and my HTC Touch was in camera mode ready to take the picture of Mastering AutoCAD Civil 3D 2008 on the shelf...

It wasn't there. My intial reaction was disappointment, but I remembered the story of the little girl shoveling manure.... there's gotta be a pony in here somewhere.

I can only assume they've had a hard time keeping it in stock, which explains the hushed whispers and sideways glances that I noticed when I walked in the door. I had thought that people were commenting on my pajamas, unbrushed hair and watery eyes, but really, I think they were like "Dude, That's Dana PROBERT, a local author and colorful figure. Writers are so eccentric. Where can I get baggy sweatpants JUST like that?"

I did make it to Starbucks, but I will be moving over to the Popeye's next door as soon as I finish my mocha. While it doesn't have the rich aroma of trendy sophistication, Popeye's has something more important. Popeyes has free WIFI.

2 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Dana,
You'll be happy to know that your book is available in many "Crosswords" stores in India, where I picked up a copy for myself. Next time you're in MHT you can sign it for me!

Anonymous said...

Laptop plus Popeyes spicy chicken w/red beans & rice equals greasy keyboard!!! "Love that chicken from Popeye's", I knew you were a woman with distinguished tastes...